Sunday 31 December 2017

New Year, New Me - Bah Humbug!

January 1, 2018. New Years Day.

As I watched the fireworks over Sydney Harbour I watched in slight bemusement that the bursts of colour and sparkle was almost drowned out by the clouds of cordite and smoke.
The lack of wind made the whole harbour appear like it was enveloped in thick smoke - well, it was. "Too bad if you're asthmatic." I remarked. Not exactly the way one would want to see out the old and welcome the new.

This gave me cause to reflect over the year that was. Another year of broken New Years resolutions. Another year of exciting promise only to be snuffed out in a blaze of smokey haze. Another year of disappointments.

Photo courtesy of 'City of Sydney'. 
 So that's why I chose not to embark upon another year of resolutions. Why bother? I mean I know what I need to do to better my life, what's the point in proclaiming anything?

I think the one true cause of why so many New Years resolutions absolutely and utterly fail is the lack of self-discipline. I mean no one else is to blame that you didn't lose weight, you didn't quit smoking or drinking so much booze. It's not the fault of some mysterious person who forced those delicious donuts down your throat.

No, this year, like in any other year in the past, I know what I need to do to better my life. I don't need to proclaim it only to disappoint myself. I have something exciting coming this year, for the first time I am going to be a Grandfather. So the incentive to increase my chances of a long and healthy life has become much more important. As well as stopping the incessant nagging from my beautiful partner.

For me at least to have that self-discipline to do those hard things you don't really want to do, but HAVE to for the sake of your health, really needs to have an incentive. Something more than being a non-smoking, tee-totalling, healthy body-weight human being. Something that increases your chances of a happier, healthier lifestyle. To buy back some years to be with loved ones.
That to me is the key.

I would like to say my days of drinking, smoking, eating the wrong foods are over. I really would like to say that, but I won't.

I remember years ago when I went to AA meetings. They kept on about this 12 step program. I don't know if that would work for me when there are so many vices to fight off. But maybe this is the right direction to take. Take each day, each challenge or craving as a step.

Step 1. Don't buy that beer. Step 2. Go a whole day without a cigarette. Step 3. Put the donuts down.

So on this blogging journey I'm going to use this medium as a journal. To record my highs and lows. To track my progress (if any) and by years end. Hopefully there will be results. REAL results.

Wish me luck!

31 December 2017.
Beer, smokes and sailing into the New Year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

To blog or not to blog, that is the question.

Hello readers, My name is Drew. I'm not new to the blogging sphere, having already ran a number of blogs over the years but now qui...